Sunday, March 21, 2010

Firefox keyboard scrolling issues

Firefox has been driving me crazy lately. I use my keyboard 99% of the time and mouse only when necessary. I didn't even realize I relied on keystrokes so much until caret browsing stopped working after an update. Once I installed 3.6, when I'd try to scroll down using page down or the down arrow, my cursor would jump to the bottom of the screen and then snap back to the top of the page.

Thankfully, I figured out the fix! I present it here as a public service:

Select Tools ¦Options ¦Advanced ¦General
Make sure Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages and Use autoscrolling are not checked.



It's counter-intuitive, but it worked for me! You can switch caret browsing on and off by hitting the F7 if you're using a PC.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you! I've been tearing my hair out about this. Your solution worked perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm glad it helped. And thanks for commenting. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person with the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, thanks a lot !!! After 1h searching for solution I finaly found your blog. And i can scroll with my keyboard, victoryyyy ! Thank you again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your frustration! Or I did! I was really close to just installing FireFox or throwing my laptop out a window. I'm glad to still be using both. Feel free to pass on the solution. If we had the issues, I'm sure others do too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uninstalling, that is. Posting from my phone and autocorrect strikes again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! just upgraded to new firefox and had this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had the same problem when while using FF12. Real pain in the rear, especially when reading long pages. I guess probably a flag is reverse set or something in the config.

    Cheers for the Help! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Works like charm! Thank ypu!

    ReplyDelete
  9. dunno how i can thank you, it was driving me nuts!!! now everything is A-ok :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANK YOU! I was confused at to wheter it was a setting I had changed, but this fixed everything! Thanks a bloody bunch! :)

    ReplyDelete

Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing. ~R. May