Monday, March 7, 2011

Mother & daughter, a dialogue in poetry

Mari and Heather - June, 2006
5/14/2011: Update, in response to reader feedback:  
I received an email that suggested this would be richer with some context. I appreciate the feedback! As requested/suggested: when I wrote this, the deaths in our immediate family included two infant sons and Heather's dad. When she was 7-years-old,  he made me a widow and left behind our gaggle of half-orphaned little ones. Heather is my second eldest child.
---------

This started when I posted a poem as Facebook note in early 2010. Heather, my talented and beautiful daughter, responded with comments that were much more than comments. Her responses are in blue.


On the Anniversary of a Death in the Family
~Mari Nichols-Haining
You have asked:
     And where are the people?
    Where is the rhythm of hands and feet
    pounding life and beating holes into your words?
You have asked,
although you did not speak those words.

And I have answered with a mumbling sadness
that crescendos into the corners
and fills the spaces between the breaths.
I have answered:

   They have fallen into the face of the leathered ocean,
   swallowed by the different symphony of the desert.
   They died with the lilacs and geraniums and
   conversations laced with caffeine.

I have mentioned the romance of poverty then,
the salt-white Bakersfield heat a painted backdrop
for barefoot towheads, shirtless in overalls.
I haven't told you of the drowning though,
as words rose up into a monumental wave
and swallowed the poets and artists
and lovers. Always the lovers.

But you have asked.



A response:
Heather Nichols-Haining

Mother,
my scarred knees are tired
of pleading to God Almighty
at swollen geranium-covered graves
of too many friends
after maybe too much coffee.

That golden whiteness fills my memories
of the meaningful days
and I swallow your romantic poverty
as if I was starving
(and what if I am?!).

The lovers weep and the children grow
and the poverty disappears
and in the end all we can do is ask:
Where did everyone go, Mom?

The devil raids our innards
as if he's got any right to be here
and even that's better than the alternative,
because at least he pisses us off.

But I've always loved the beach,
(and haven't you taught me that?)
despite and because of the crude waves
and the fierceness of their eternity.

~Heather Nichols-Haining

My response to your response...
 ...my lovely daughter  
                          ~mnh


Oh sweet woman-child,
I haven’t forgotten how to bandage up your skinned knees,
and with more than muscle memory and love
I can kiss away the scars and blood and pain
but leave the grains of sand
embedded
in your memories.
That is where they belong.

Where did they go? My child,
they went to where the whiteness turns to gold
and to a place where little children learn to roar
but never forget to dance.
They walk with you along the shore
and they whisper through the seashells
urgently. Urgently

reminding you
to tell me about eternity.
There, on that beach and in that forever,
the lovers never really weep
although the children always grow.
And every day is meaningful.

Where did they go? My sweet,
they never really left.
We stayed up too late too many nights
to learn this by rote and heart.

But don't you remember?
  (and haven't I taught you this):

they carry your heart with them.*

~Mom


A response to your response to my response to your beautiful piece of art:

As we wander the golden globe in search of them,
our restless feet munching the ground beneath,
a generation and maybe eternity
between the two of us,

what've we got
besides mocking seashells
and anxious seaside dances?

Of course, there is that golden dust, .*
that sand stuck in my hair
despite the work of your tireless fingers.

And of course we've got all those hearts,
and the persistent lovers,
the stories told way past bedtime,
the people breathing white geraniums.

I cling to the stories now,
as my scalp once clung to golden sand.
They're dirty, gross, gritty
but I like the feel of your fingers
kneading through my scalp.
I even like the grit.

These are my stories
and my sand
and even the calling of the seashells
lends flight to my soul.

We dance with the beating waves.

~Heather

To Heather (who is one of my most beautiful pieces of art) 

I’ve wondered how it is that we can take
a generation of our time, squeeze it through a sight of thumb and forefinger
to make it small
  -as long as we are one eye blind -
yet still the words, and all that is the story,
overflow these thimble memories.

I love you,  ~Mom

* Heather and I spent many of her childhood nights reading poetry to each other. Here, I referred to one of my favorites, ee cummings' ' "I carry your heart with me "; Heather recalled  Robert Frost's  "A Peck of Gold."

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is like love seesaw, well done.

    check out poetry potluck today at JP, first time participants are welcome to submite random poems. hope to see you in when you are ready, bless your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A love seesaw. I like that. :)

    I was impressed when my daughter responded, and pleasantly surprised. It's not humble of me to say that I have very talented children, but it's true.

    @pppl and Jinglepoetry: I'll check out the sites. Thanks for the feedback and the links!

    ReplyDelete

Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing. ~R. May