Saturday, March 6, 2010

Please, don't be American!

I just had a random memory. Since no one is reading this blog right now anyhow...

France,  September 2001

I was once approached by two girls in front of the Louvre. They had a tourist map out and unfolded, which they had been referencing as they argued about which way to go. I'm sure you've seen these types of maps: it was one of those cartoony maps with only the major streets marked and large caricatured drawings of major attractions.


They asked if I knew where "the Leaning Tower of Pizza" was. I'm positive I accidentally used the "duuuuuh, you idiots" voice when I answered "uhh. in Pisa." They thrust the map at me and asked if I could show them where it was. I said if they showed me a map of Italy, maybe I could. But a map of Paris just wasn't going to cut it. I mentally chanted "please be Canadian! Please be Canadian!" when I asked them where they were from, and I was beyond relieved to learn they actually were Canadian!
 
Of course, I mean no slight to my Canadian friends. I'm  just really, really happy they weren't American. We have enough problems with our international image these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing. ~R. May