Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The grass sighs

Melancholy floats in the wind today.
Memories are deposited by the rippling breeze,
and the waving grass sighs.

I remember when fall winds
brought fairy songs twisting around me
teaching me to dance and fly in concert.

Later, zephyrs nudged me to the future,
before towing me urgently by my whipped umbrella.
Yet, aren't I too young to hear the sigh?

These days beneath the crimson,
I see the dust has settled now as crystal morning frost.
These evenings, no nanny in the wind
and no longing for the memories.
But the grass?
It still sighs.

From somewhere: a bird.

I am cold, my sweater damp,
but I am only here.

Without decision,
I stay to watch a leaf parachute
and listen for the wind to shift

until the sighs fade in to day.

~Mari Nichols-Haining

One Shot Wednesday: A poetic flashmob.

2 comments:

  1. what a peaceful verse...love the things you pull from around you the parachuting leaf, the grass sighs....very nice...

    and poetic flashmob...i may have to use that...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Brian!

    I'm just finished work for the day and am about to go look at the other posts. I'm looking forward to a great night of reading!

    ReplyDelete

Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing. ~R. May