Wednesday, December 8, 2010

her first untimely death

her first untimely death
   (Or: A teenager mourns a death)
 
She couldn't have known it was Childhood's last night.
So she stood on the wet grass and sang to the evening
as though it was any other.

She should have realized when she noticed,
in grown-up thoughts,
the stars arcing above her had shifted
and were marking time like the hands of a clock.

Then somewhere far away a boy died
and the moon winked a minute.
She could not have known she was waiting for a shooting star
to note the second on the asphalt sky.

In ten hours, the phone will ring.
She will step outside her body without effort. To watch,
because events like those need historians.

Detached, she'll consider it theatrical.
And when she falls to the ground
she'll wonder if the wail filling the room and straining against the walls
really comes from her.

Somewhere, innocence just isn't anymore.
It will be too late for her to know
she's wishing she were outside, singing to the stars again.
Oblivious to the clock.

~Mari Nichols Haining

This is my contribution to One Shot Wednesday - a poetic flash mob. Go check it out!

14 comments:

  1. Sadly children are growing up too soon. The scenario you painted was so beautiful of innocence and then reality

    Your poem conveyed an aura of beauty even in death

    thanks for sharing with One Shot MDW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was not the poem I expected, but far far better. Love the way you've worked with the ideas of loss, maturity, and fate, and the beautiful skin of words you've put around them. Phrases like 'the asphalt sky...events like those need historians..' are the standouts for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow...yeah death hasa way of maturing you quickly...i remember my grandfathers death when i was 12 and all that it meant to me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was amazing writing - well expressed feelings and thoughts...great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback. I was going to write that I appreciate it more than you can know, but those who found me through OSW probably know all too well!

    Constructive criticism is always welcome too, and there's no need to worry about offending me. For a long time now, I've spent 40 hours a week writing and editing science & technical documents. It's an effective way to lose any ego I may have attached to my own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The above comment is from me, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Heather I love you too, my beautiful daughter. I'm waiting to read more of your work. Please drop by with a link when you start posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Childhood may end, but the child lives on inside us. Nice One Shot, Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some back pedaling...nicely done.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great one shot. Love and Light, Sender

    ReplyDelete
  11. very well written....thanks for sharing pete

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good, tone-/telling-tone poem, love the end-stanza.

    ReplyDelete

Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing. ~R. May