Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The monsters have taken names

Back then, the gremlins under my bed were not a concern.
What I feared were the stuffed bears that shape-shifted after dark
and the demons who threatened from corners
where the walls and dust and shadows intersected.

The monsters in the closet were less threatening than empty spaces.
Those voids hovering between the church dresses and Sunday shoes,
wedged between the boxes of clothes I'd grow into
and a summer of childhood I'd never wear again,
those voids scared me into insomnia.

Even then, it was too obvious a betrayal
when a snake formed from the trinkets on my most loved bookshelf
taking my diary key for a tongue,
while my Just So Stories and Little House became angry eyebrows
over stern lips from The Great Brain and Nancy Drew.

Now, in my unkeyed  journal
I've written my fears without mention of closets or trinkets or books.
But obvious, too, are my lies by omission --
without darkness or shadows now
the shape-shifters remain animate; the voids still hover.

While my demons avoid the cobwebs and corners now,
my serpents don't bother to hide among the books,
        and the monsters have taken names.

       ~Mari Nichols Haining

Check out other poetry posted on this blog.

Hungry for more? A host of talented contributors participate in  One Shot Wednesday - it's a online poetic flash mob. Go check it out!

And as always, comments, constructive criticism, and links to other writing are encouraged and appreciated!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Mari, you've brought back memories of those fears so well by describing them just so. Indeed, sometimes even a girl's favorite stuff turns traitor in the dark! What was up with that?

    And the rub is, they grow up and take names, just as you've said. Not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great references and images that almost seem to morph to life while being read, in addition to becoming the eventual substance of a writer's repertoire. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smashing ending my dear! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah i remember those nights well growing up...and those that take names and dont hide very well...yeah i got those too...great one shot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This builds cleverly and to good effect through the recollections of childhood fears to the adult payoff in the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent writing/transitions of terrors.

    ReplyDelete

Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing. ~R. May