Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Just more words

Unfinished

In the years before the gods died
the earth spun slowly,
It was a detail he'd recall in his later years,
when the sky had blurred to faint arcing lights.

But in those early Falls, the stars  demanded notice.

On the warmest nights he'd count them, pixel-by-pixel,
from the front seat of a parked station wagon,
until the numbers picked a cadence for his dreams.

But he had lived too much since then to consider
whether he should wonder where they went.
Instead he gave his effort to the forgetting,
as he had much to forget.

There was the night the heavens kneeled
and with misdirected kindness, whispered,
"Go home. You are a man. The Gods have died."

And so he did. And so he was.
Too abashed for questions.

Had he been watching from the Ford
he would have noticed then
the long melancholic droplets converging
into rivulets racing sideways down the pane,
leaving him nothing to count.

But he wasn't watching.
In time, the comets were just a habit;
even their fecklessness went unnoticed.
No matter. In truth,
their final leave was concealed years before

in  Providence's passing...

~Mari Nichols

This was my contribution to  One Shot Wednesday, the Web's poetic flashmob.

Of course, I have a thick skin and constructive criticism is always welcome. As always, I encourage (read: beg for) all comments.

5 comments:

  1. Your poem is beautiful. I think that the narrative is so well done and interesting that I'd like to hear it developed further into short fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. intriguing write...i really enjoyed this...like dustus, i think there is more there...and that the gods had to die for him to be proclaimed a man can also make a great metaphor...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I liked the story telling in the piece. However the punctuations threw me off as well as the use of "feckledness" which I had to look up as it was new to me, but it does not exist, did you mean to write "fickleness"? I think you might and may have missed the typo.
    It was nice visiting from OSP.
    Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...I don't think I"d noticed before that there's always a story, and it's always already written in my head. The poems are their summaries. Writing more short fiction would have been on my new year resolutions list if I had made one. Thanks for the feedback. It may be the inspiration I need to find the time to do it.

    @lynnaima: Yay! I grateful for the constructive criticism! Thank you!
    Regarding fecklessness: I wonder if my fonts are displaying oddly on your browser so the double S looks like a 'D'. Either way, I did considered that 'feckless' might throw people off, but chose it because I wanted both of its meanings: pointless or lifeless AND careless or irresponsible.

    I'll give the rest of it an edit in a day or two. My day job sneaks in even when I'm writing for myself and makes me ruthlessly attentive to punctuation, line endings, and how it all affects my tone and word choice. However, it often takes a few days and definitely takes a few edits to evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Sci-Fi feel
    I don't read too may Sci-Fi in poetry
    I think you made a compelling story

    thanks for your kind comment - Mari

    ReplyDelete

Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing. ~R. May